Counselling is a helping relationship with a person in need and a professional to bring about attitudinal or behavioural change aimed at WELLNESS.
Counselling is …
- Client-centred — specific to the needs, issues and circumstances of each individual client.
- An interactive, collaborative and respectful process.
- Directed towards developing autonomy and self-responsibility in clients.
- Considerate of interpersonal situation, social/cultural context, readiness to change.
- Asking questions, eliciting information, reviewing options and developing action plans.
Counselling is NOT …
- Telling or direction
- Giving advice
- A conversation
- An interrogation
- A confession.