The Physics department was launched in 1956, under the Madras University. Then only BSc degree course was offered. In 1995, on the occasion of the golden jubilee of the college, the department became a PG department with the start of M. Sc. Physics course. Three years later, it was elevated to a research department by the MG University, Kottayam. Last year we started M.Phil. (self financing) course in Physics. Currently we are offering B.Sc. (autonomous stream) , M.Sc. (autonomous stream), M. Phil. , and Ph.D. courses in Physics.
Among our nine faculty members, there are six Ph.D. holders and one M.Phil. holder. The remaining ones are working towards their doctoral degree. One faculty member is an approved research guide under the M. G. University and two more faculty members are awaiting approval as research guides. The department has a full fledged research lab to carry out M.Sc projects and research.
The facilities of the
department include lecture halls for B.Sc and M.Sc classes, three different
laboratories for undergraduate courses, a computer lab, and faculty rooms. The
three laboratories for the post graduate programme is located at the left end
corner of the main building (ground floor) facing the lake view grounds. The
research laboratories are located on the first floor near the M.Sc classes. The
department has separate laboratories for General Physics, Electricity,
Spectrography and Computers with advanced facilities like CD Spectrograph,
Electromagnets, and Oscilloscopes etc. The department has a seminar hall and a
reference library which has a collection of over 2000 books and subscribes to
Apart from the courses
offered on the main campus, the department has an extension centre called
'Mitradham', dedicated to research and development of ecofriendly,
pollution-free and technologically innovative renewable energy systems.