Milestones on the Path of Progress

2014
Autonomous status
2013
Re Accredited at A Grade in the III cycle
2010
CPE II Phase
2010
Rated as No.1 College in the state, and one among the top 25 in the country by India Today.
2009
Rated as No.1 College in the state, and one among the top 25 in the country by India Today.
2008
Rated as No.1 College in the state, and one among the top 25 in the country by India Today.
2007
Rated as No.1 College in the state, and one among the top 25 in the country by India Today.
2007
The college is reaccredited by NAAC at A+ Level.
2004
The status of College with Potential for Excellence is conferred on the college by the UGC.
2003
Secures MG University Overall Championship in sports.
2000
The college secures MG University Overall Championship in sports.
2000
The College is accredited by NAAC with Five Star status.
1999
Wins the R. Sankar Award for the second time.
1997
The College secures MG University Overall Championship in Sports.
1997
The College wins the prestigious R. Sankar Award instituted by the Govt. of Kerala for the best college in the state.
1997
B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry (vocational) started.
1995
Renewable Energy Research Centre opened under the aegis of the Department of Physics and a renewable energy demonstration centre viz., ‘Mithradham’ launched as an extension service centre.
1995
Affiliation granted to M.Sc. Physics.
1994
Departments of Zoology and Economics become Research Centres.
1991
Computer Centre established offering Diploma and Certificate courses.
1988
Department of Botany is elevated to a Research Centre.
1984
Affiliation granted to M.Sc. Botany.
1983
The College comes under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
1980
DSS and MSW Programmes bifurcated and Rajagiri College of Social Sciences founded.
1975
Co-education introduced.
1967
Department of Social Work relocated to the Rajagiri Campus, Kalamassery.
1966
Workshops for students inaugurated.
1964
Affiliation granted to M.A. English and BA Sociology.
1962
Affiliation granted to M.Sc. Chemistry.
1961
PG Programmes in Commerce and Social Work introduced.
1959
Affiliation granted to M.A. Economics and M.Sc. Zoology.
1958
College is affiliated to the University of Kerala
1957
Affiliation is granted to undergraduate programme in Botany.
1956
French is introduced as a second language
1956
Affiliation is granted to undergraduate programmes in Physics and Malayalam.
1955
The college launches a Diploma course in Social Service.
1952
Affiliation is granted to undergraduate programme in Zoology.
1947
Affiliation is granted to undergraduate programme in Chemistry.
1944
The college was established on June 16, 1944. Founded by Rev. Fr. John Berchmans CMI and Rev. Fr. Francis Sales CMI. Rev. Fr. Peter Thomas Pynumkal CMI was appointed as its first Principal. College started with 276 students in the three intermediate and three degree programmes affiliated to Madras University. The courses offered at the degree level were Commerce, Mathematics and Economics.
Retroscope

A view of the college building in 1946 


College Jetty in 1962 


Pioneering Team of Staff (1945-46)


Sri. V.V Giri, after Inaugurating the College Students' Centre  in 1969 


Fr. Barthalomeo Volley Ball Tournament(1965)


NAAC Peer Team at the College-(2006) 



 A view of the College Building (1962)



A view of the College Building (2012)


A View from the Lake (1965) 


A View from the Lake (2012)